Saturday, March 31, 2007

Frugal Fun - A Toad in My Flower Pot

It looks like this one - it is an endangered Houston Toad? We have a pair of them!


Tiny (my little 11 pound rat terrier) and I were outside early this morning repotting a couple of our herb plants. Who are the herbs for? Tiny, of course! She loves to eat fresh pieces of broken mint and also enjoys the earthy scents of thyme, rosemary and oregano.

Imagine my surprise when I looked down into the now empty pot of mint and found a toad inside! This is the second big toad we have found this week. We found the first one hiding underneath a mud hole beside the sidewalk.

Toads are frugal bug eaters. We don't mind sharing our container gardening space with these guys, yet next time I hope the toads won't almost kill my mint by digging underneath them and depriving them of water!


No comments: