Friday, March 23, 2007

Living without health insurance

After reading my last post, you are probably wondering, how does this idiot woman make it without health insurance? I will be glad to elaborate. I don't think any of my ideas are perfect, it's just that I've learned to make do after three years of living without health insurance.

A little background about my family situation. I'm a single mother for the past 11 years supporting an almost 15-year old son who is the light of my life. I also lovingly support a cat and a dog, although unfortunately, they do not qualify for tax relief of any sort. I generally fall about $1,000 - $3,000 short any year of qualifying for the Earned Income Credit, therefore disqualifying me of any significant discounts on my tax bill. I do get monthly child support from my ex, although I would consider it insignificant, in light of the fact that it never even came close to paying for a monthly childcare invoice. I'm ranting, I know...

So back to the subject, how do I make it on no health insurance?

  1. Pay cash only at the doctor's office.
  2. Tell your doctor you are a cash patient, especially if they are working for an HMO.
  3. Be prepared to argue or discuss your medical fees with the clerk at the front desk. Explain that you are paying cash and have no health insurance up front. I know this is embarrassing! Be tough - your home finances should be treated as a business decision, too!
  4. Be informed - know about the medical tests that have been requested for you and what benefit they have for reaching a diagnosis. I had to cut out several medical tests recently, just because I couldn't afford them.
  5. Know your targeted health risks. Mine are heart health and diabetes. Your family history might suggest cancer or some other high risk illness.
  6. Ask your doctor for a generic drug, free samples, or a low cost over-the-counter alternative.
  7. Sign up for any prescription discounts that you may qualify for such as Partnership for Prescription America, etc.
  8. Walmart and Target now have $10.00 or less generics. Ask for a generic alternative, if possible.
  9. Do you really need to go to the Emergency Room? Do your ABC's - does it involve Airway/Breathing or Circulation (Bleeding)? If you can't breathe or are bleeding badly, definitely go. Otherwise, consider waiting until regular doctor's hours for a visit, or try one of the smaller 24/7 emergency clinics.
  10. Home remedies - I was fortunate enough to come from a pioneer Texas family. One set of relatives was from West Texas and the other from North Texas. Luckily these traditions have been passed along verbally from one generation to the next. Don't know any home remedies? The internet is a great resource.
  11. Live healthy, be proactive about your health. Take care of yourself including your dental health, eat right, be active.

Let's all pray that our health care system in America changes with the next Presidential election. I don't have the answers, yet I know something better awaits us. In the meantime, take care of yourself...Terre

No comments: