Sunday, April 8, 2007

Carpet Cleaner for Extremely Old Carpets

Dawn dish soap has a million uses, although one of my favorites is using it to shampoo my cruddy old apartment carpet that is a lost cause to the world. I've tried several different carpet formulas over the years - generic oxyclean, the commercial carpet cleaning products containing ammonia, even just plain hot water. And still the best solution I've found is about 3 - 4 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap (pick your favorite scent - Apple smells heavenly) added to hot tap water, and then go to town shampooing your carpet.

I admit it gets really sudsy, yet I'm not complaining, especially when I'm pulling pure sludge out of my carpet. It is gross to say the least. Be sure to pour the dirty water tank remains down your toilet, and flush often.

The day after your carpet dries, make sure you run the vacuum thoroughly and pick up the pilled carpet dust bunnies. I assure you your carpet will be clean and remarkably soft for at least the next two months, and you won't have black feet as you get into bed at night. (No judgements here, I'm the lone woman coping with a 15 year old boy, frequent teen hangouts and a dog and a cat!)

Another benefit, I live in Houston and we don't have flea problems in my household.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.