Friday, July 27, 2007

Mom's frugal time out (from the dog!)

I have a dog, a toy rat terrier, who loves to be loved. She makes you love her by being in your face everyone moment of every day. She follows me everywhere, because obviously, I am the mom of the wolf pack. Notice I didn't say alpha dog, because I would most certainly leave that honor to all 12 pounds of her.

When I need a break from this beloved creature, I attempt to find her rolled up rawhide bone, it's at least 8 inches long. Instead of going to the local pet store and buying expensive treats, I make my own, and the dog loves them.

I keep a jar of $1.00 store peanut butter in the refrigerator. Then I take a teaspoon and try to fill in every available hole in the bone. In addition, I usually smear a bit of peanut butter on top of the bone for her to lick off easily.

The end result...a dog who barks incessantly while I am refilling her rawhide bone. Then I hand it to her and she prances out of the kitchen with the bone and hides quietly under the table for an hour. When she's done, she drops in and says hello. And believe me, peanut butter breath smells a lot better than her usual doggy breath.

No comments: