Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Frugal home computing

Hi everyone! It's frugal home computing time, so please excuse the lack of postings through the summer.

If anyone has the answer to this one, please let me know.

My son and I are manually handing off the DSL modem back and forth, because it is Houston summer time and we need to conserve the dollars for our electric bill. I ordered the megaconglomerate's wi-fi DSL modem and that cost me $130.00. It came with an offer for $$ off to have a geek come hook it up for me. Unfortunately, we did not have the $$ for the geek, either. The lack of instructions for the whole setup was thoroughly frustrating and I refused to play mega's "sock it to me" game. End result: We shipped it all back and I'm refusing to pay the bill until proper credits are made to my account.

So here's my dilemma: I've got wi-fi on my PC, so how can I hook up to the internet for relatively cheap at home without having to network my two home PC's? Would cable modems hooked into our TV cable system be a cheaper alternative overall?

Any help is appreciated.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Two computers has hook up via a wireless modem that is bought at best buy or the like for around $65 dollars.

However, the wireless modem needs the 'juice' so that you can get onto the internet. To do this would involve buying into a cable modem from a local cable company (time/warner?)
The monthly cost for this is around 40-50 a month, and then you have the one time charge for the purchase of your wireless modem.

To do this so you aren't wireless, would mean running your ethernet cord (oversized phone cord) into a modem directly, however you would only be able to hook one computer up at a time. Again, the price for a decent speed is going to run above $30 a month.

Other than that, it is dial or you can take your laptop to the local Panera bread, library or some Mcdonalds to access their free wireless service.

Terre Parker said...

Hi Dawn,
Thanks for the help.

I like that free wi-fi suggestion at a local hotspot. Since my child is a teen and can be left on his own for a few hours, this might become my sanity break.

Thanks again,
Terre

Anonymous said...

I'm not too sure, from the post, what the actual problem was with the modem. When you need technical help, you have to be VERY specific so people can identify the issue.

I bought a wireless modem after researching the one that would be compatible with my computer (Mac) and rang my phone provider to change from dialup to ADSL. It took a couple of weeks for them to connect me. Set up was mostly simple, though I seem to remember that I had trouble with email, until a quick phone call to the provider pointed out a problem with a setting.

My Mac and PDA communicate wirelessly with the router, and my old PC is plugged into it, all using it at the same time.

There are some very cheap internet providers out there, and the wireless modem, as someone said, can be bought fairly cheaply.

Your best bet would be to ask a local computer shop (the kind with knowledgeable staff, not generic sales clerks) what sort of internet services are available in your area. They'd also be able to advise on a suitable modem for your budget, computer and prefered provider.

Terre Parker said...

Yea! I noticed that AT&T is offering wireless internet card for $50.00. This seems to be any easy fix and one that doesn't require $200 worth of technical support.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Gail said...

Have you tried joining your local freecycle group and asking for a wireless modem? Then ask around (teens or college students at church, or older scouts, or a high school computer club) for help setting up. Wouldn't it be great if local scouts decided to start a computer help group as an Eagle project?