Saturday, June 2, 2007

Credit card points...really a good deal?

My banking institution has been sending me advertisements both online and via U.S. mail lately about their latest credit card points system. The cost of the points club program is $1.00/month or $12.00/year.

When I looked further into the program, the fine print read that only 1 point was earned for every $4.00 spent. Then I look over at the reward list and note that I can receive a $100 Cash Rebate for 10,000 points or $40,000 dollars spent. So that would be net $88.00 for the year if I spent $40,000 on my credit card.

I don't mean to sound lame, but there have got to be better ways to earn $88.00 during the year, don't you think? I'd love to get some feedback on this one. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Pat said...

That's ridiculous. It sure pays to do the math, doesn't it?

Terre Parker said...

I agree about doing the math, Pat. Four years ago this summer, I gave up a high paying job in Downtown Houston.

Now I live closer to my job and have a bit more time to think through my finances. In my former fast paced lifestyle, I would have paid the $1.00 a month and thought I was getting a bargain.

Anonymous said...

I have a Citi Mastercard that pays me 1% on everything I buy or pay for. I pay in full every month, and get $50 to $90 actual real hard CASH back aboit every 3 or 4 months, depending on how much I use the card, I have gotten as much as $300 in one year.

Jim