Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Good luck, a little planning, $2.00 or less spent

I've shopped for next to nothing for a couple of my "in-between" major shopping trips lately.

If you haven't heard me say it before, I enjoy shopping where you could literally set up a picnic on the floor and not worry about eating there. A couple of my local stores fit that profile, CVS drugstore and Randall's grocery store.

Both stores offer loyalty programs. CVS offers those wonderful CVS free bucks, in addition to giving $3.00 - $4.00 off every $15.00 - 20.00 spent. These coupons print at the bottom of your receipt, which probably tells you why my wallet is always overflowing even though there's no money in it. I take advantage of these free bucks.

Last night at CVS, I paid $1.36 for the following items: 1 gallon of milk, 1 Lever body wash, 2 bags of Goldfish crackers, and 2 pints of ice cream. Here's how I did it. I had a $1.00 coupon for the Lever body wash, I had the $10.00 freebie bucks from recent prescription purchases ($10.00 off for every 5 prescriptions purchased - I save on the prescriptions, too - that's another article in itself!), and a $3.00 coupon off for $15.00 spent. Hurrah, just enough groceries to make it to payday!

I came across a similar deal at Randall's approx. 2 weeks ago. I always ask for the extra coupons that are sitting on the register. Guess what? Two of those coupons ended up to be freebie bucks adding up to $13.00. In addition, I found an in-store grocery coupon for one of the items in my cart. I ended up paying only $2.00 that night for $15.00 worth of groceries.

Both of these shopping trips needed a bit of pre-planning, yet I think the 15 minutes I spent prior to each of the two shopping trips paid off. I'm not the world's best couponer; however, I do enjoy "free"!

Good luck, and think before you buy...Terre

No comments: