Friday, May 18, 2007

Sticker shock, everywhere !

I just came home from the grocery store after using all my best shopping skills to shop frugally at my local store without driving 10 miles to the superstore. Total Price: $100, for one adult, one teenager, and one dog. Kitty didn't get anything this weekend. And, I still need to go back Sunday night for one more week's worth of school lunch supplies. It's all frustrating at best.

Currently, gas here in West Houston is $2.94/gallon, so that made me think twice before running my Honda all over town to go bargain shopping. So, I'll probably do more bargain shopping on Sunday after church, while I'm out in the area of town where two of the good discount stores sit side by side (Dollar Tree and 99 Cent Store). Believe it or not, sometimes the sacks of potatoes I buy for .99 are better quality than the ones at my neighborhood market. Also, the dollar stores are a great place to stock up on canned goods for hurricane season.

I'd be interested in hearing what's going on in the rest of the USA, as far as gas prices and grocereis go. Take care, Terre

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gas prices here in West Michigan are $3.65 per gallon! The reason? Memorial Day Weekend. I really don't think there is a reason. I think it's just because they can!Groceries and everything else seem to be following suit. The cheapest milk around here is $2.75 for a gallon. Downey Fabric Softener now has less ounces and costs more (my husband has to have the dye and perfume free stuff). I could go on, but I will stop there.

Terre Parker said...

Anonymous in West Michigan - thanks for leaving your comment. I'm more or less stuck in West Houston and don't get to travel outside my area much. I find it interesting the various prices around the country. Since I posted last, gas prices have risen to over $3.00 per gallon here.

$2.75 a gallon for milk? That's a bargain! I've been buying one and getting one free (2/$5.00 or 2/$6.00 lately) and freezing the second gallon.

My household has been fighting allergies, and now that my favorite scented detergent is selling for over $6.00/100 oz. I'm hitting every unscented laundry detergent sale I can find. I think I'm going to the dollar stores this weekend to look for some decent fabric softener.

Thanks for commenting! Terre

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Ohio!
Love the blog...about gas -we have a refinery in our town killing us with smog, and we're paying about 25 to 45 cents MORE per gallon than anyone else in Ohio! Last time I got gas it was at 11 a.m. and it was $3.14, which the gas companies have brainwashed us into thinking that's a bargain. because at noon, it went up to $3.49. Yikes!

We're getting milk on sale for $1.99 to $2.75 when not on sale, but that's about the highest I see it here.